Alexa Routines are designed to make your days easier and more productive, taking a bunch of things you can do with Alexa and bundling them together seamlessly. For example, if every morning you turn off your alarm, turn on a light, ask about the weather, and then check your calendar, you can create a single Routine that does all of that automatically, without you needing to think about it.
You have been able to set up your own custom Routines, or select from Featured Routines in the Alexa app—and now, Amazon is making it easy to share Routines with friends and family. Alexa now has the ability to turn Routines into shareable URL links—so you can share the Routines you use with anyone.
Sharing an Alexa Routine
- To share a routine, go to More > Routines in the Alexa app and select the routine you want to share.
- Tap the More button (three dots) and select Share Routine.
- Click Continue and choose how you’d like to send the Routine. For example, by text, email, or social media.
Use a Shared Alexa Routine
- To set up a Routine you have been sent, click the shared URL link on your mobile device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in your Alexa app when it opens.
- Look for options in yellow text. These are optional fields to complete the setup, such as selecting the smart light you want to turn on in the Routine.
“Routines are hugely popular among Alexa customers, and now it’s super easy to share your most useful Routines with others,” said Toni Reid, VP, Alexa. “So if you have a Routine that reminds you to stretch, and plays relaxing music every afternoon, you can share that with your friends. I’m excited for customers to try this feature and hope this makes their Alexa experience even better.”
Creating Alexa Routines
Routines are a set series of Alexa actions controlled by a single command or triggered by another action. This allows you to perform regular actions without having to keep giving individual commands. For example, you could set a routine to read out the weather, the top news stories and then play an album with the single command “Alexa, Wake me up”.
You can learn how to create and edit Routines for Alexa in our in-depth guide.